Friday 16 March 2012

Development



For my outcome, I will chose to do one of the following:
  • A logo/logotype or marquee
  • A poster campaign, promoting the BME and advertising the opening
  • An exhibition catalogue or booklet, detailing some of the events or attractions
  • A flyer to promote the event

I think I will make a poster campaign, because there is already a logo to use, and also I think a poster campaign would be more creative for me and I think I would enjoy creating posters most out of the other choices.


IDEAS FOR POSTER DESIGN

Idea 1:

I was just experimenting on Photoshop with The Beatles famous Abbey Road album cover.
Firstly, I got the image of the Abbey Road album cover by The Beatles.
I then used the polygon lasso tool to select John Lennon's hair.
Next, I selected the fill bucket tool and changed the fill colour to the appropriate colour (#563014). Then I clicked the selected part of the image, which filled it that colour.
Then I chose the polygon lasso tool, as before, this time selecting the face area.

I then repeated the colour fill process, but this time, with a skin colour (#e4cca5).

Next, i did the same selection and fill process like before, with his clothes (#ffffff) and after, with his shoes (#f0f47c).
     
Once i had finished making the John Lennon figure, i then moved on to do the others.

I like this technique and i think it would look good somehow incorporated into a poster campaign. I was thinking because The Beatles are from the 60's, I could then do this same style on other music acts from the 70's, 80's 90's and 00's, either all incorporated into on poster, or doing five separate posters for each, all in a similar style.

I like how on the image, the lines aren't neat and uniform, the edges are sharp, but slightly jagged.

Once I had done that, i wanted to try it with other celebrities. I chose what I thought was the most interesting and and found a famous picture or pose they were in. I did one for Freddie Mercury (70's), Madness (80's), Oasis (90's) and Amy Winehouse (00's). I went through the same process with them, by selecting areas ad filling them in to make a vector image.

Freddy Mercury in his signature pose.

Madness in the pose on the front cover of the One Step Beyond album.

Oasis. I couldn't find a popular image of just Noel and Liam Gallagher including their full bodies, so I found one of the full band, but just didn't make a vector of them. Also, I moved Noel (left) closer to Liam (right) a bit more.

Amy Winehouse. The same can be said for Amy Winehouse, i couldn't find a popular image of her full body, so i just used a picture of her on the red carpet.



I didn't really like the Amy Winehouse graphic, so I looked for some different artists to do for the 00's. I looked at my research for other artists, and the only really significant looking one was The darkness, but none of the pictures looked right in a vector style, also there not as famouse as other British musicians.

I then looked at Gorillaz, I know they are fairly famous and thought it would be interesting to do the cartoon style of them in a vector graphic style.

I think the Gorillaz look good in this style and i will use this instead of the Amy Winehouse vector.


Idea 2:
Another idea was a fully typographic one. It would be of a famous lyric from a band/musician from each decade. I started by researching the top ten songs from the musicians I researched, then chose the most famous one, and chose a popular lyric from that song.

THE BEATLES: Hey Jude. "Na, na na na na na na, na na na na, hey Jude."
ROLLING STONES: Paint it black. "I see a red door and i want it painted black."
THE WHO: My generation. "Talkin 'bout my generation."
BEE GEES: Stayin' alive. "Ah, ha ha ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive."

BLACK SABBATH: Iron man. "I am iron man."
SLADE: Come on feel the noise. Come on, feel the noise, girls rock your boys."
QUEEN: We will rock you. "We will we will rock you."
DAVID BOWIE: Life on Mars. " Ground control to Major Tom."

MADNESS: House of fun. "Welcome to the house of fun."
DURAN DURAN: Hungry like the wolf. "And i'm hungry like the wolf."
ADAM AND THE ANTS: Prince Charming. "Prince Charming, Prince Charming, ridicule is nothing to be scared of."
THE HUMAN LEAGUE: Don't you want me. "You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar."

OASIS: Wonderwall. "Because mabye, you gonna be the one that saves me."
TAKE THAT: Back for good. "Whatever I aid, whatever I did, I din't mean it."
BLUR: Song 2. "WOO HOO!"
FATBOY SLIM: Right here, right now. "Right here, right now, right here, right now."

ARCTIC MONKEYS: Mardy bum. "Now then mardy bum."
THE DARKNESS: I belive in a thing called love. "Touching you, touching me, touching you god your touching me."
FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE: You've got the love. "'cause you've got the love i need to see me through."
AMY WINEHOUSE: Rehab. "I said no, no, no."

* THE ONES HIGHLIGHTED IN RED ARE THE ONES I WOULD LIKE TO GO FORWARD WITH. *

Layout idea, sketch #1.



I started off just using a plain background. I changed the colour of it until I saw one that looked good, I then place one of my vector graphics on it to sort of see what the poster would look like. Although it does look good, i think just a simple colour looks boring, and even though it emphasizes the vector, it look plain and boring.

I thought a Union Jack flag would look good, it would also be fitting as the museum is about BRITISH music.

I started off drawing it in felt tip pen (it isn't very clear because I took this picture on my webcam) but i would scan it in and edit it so it is more cleaner and looks better. I looks okay but i don't like the fact that the pen marks are visible. I won't use this method. because of that reason.

I then tried using oil pastel. This gave it a more worn out effect which I would like to use on my poster, but it looks a bit childish in my opinion, and i don't like it looking like that, so i won't use this method either.


I found a worn union jack, like what I wanted on the internet and decided to experiment using this in my poster.
I didn't think it was interesting enough with it just being normal so I thought that I would change it. I first started off by tilting it to the left to make it slanted. Then I scaled it to fit the canvas.
Next, I put a radial gradient overlay onto to give it more texture, also to make it darker so it wouldn't draw too much attention away from the main content.
I took the original, plain background and put it in a new layer onto of the flag. Then I lowered the opacity so the flag started to show through which I think made it look less obvious and again, not to draw too much attention off the main content.

So far I liked it, so I decided to use it and start making my poster. Next i started to put content on it. Although the background isn't a main aspect of the poster, it was still fairly complex, so i decided to make the content simple, and tried not to change it too much.
When I got the logo, it had a black background, so to get rid of it, i selected to magic wand tool, highlighted all the background parts and deleted them.
Now the bakground had gone, the text wasn't very legible, so to change that, I again chose the magic wand tool, highlighted the letters and changed the colour to white to see what that looked like. It looked good and it was legible, so I kept it that way.
I then scaled it down and placed it into the top right corner. I started off with it there because of the poster design I had in mind, I thought it would fit and look best in that position.
Once I moved the logo, I put the vector image on. I liked the positioning of the vector in the first poster idea, so i kept it in that position.
I made a shadow for the vectors to make it stand out more from the background, and also give it a slight 3d aspect to it. I made the shadow by duplicating the vector layer and filling the shapes in black, then moved the layer below the original vector layer.

I saved the background separately, so i could keep it the same throughout all my posters. I liked this layout so I made the other posters as similar as I could.
                         
                        


I did the same layout with the rest of the posters and added text. I just used Arial just to see what the text would look like and after that, I didn't like the overall layout of the poster, and also I thought there was too much going on in terms of the image, the text and the background. However, I did like the text in that way, I thought it resembles the keep calm and carry on posters, which I think is significantly British.


Layout idea, sketch #2.






I prefer this banner to the other poster idea. I like it better because there is less going on it in, it's simple but effective. I have kept with the keep calm and carry on type style of text, but this time, I included text carrying on from the lyrics so it's in context more and relates more to the BME. (See research for Keep Calm and Carry On poster).
I used a scriptive font so it looks like it has been added on, and for the bme, I cut letters out the logo, just to add a bit more variety to the poster, without being to busy.
I did the same layout for each artist.


I think that these banners look good on there own, but also together in a row. I think they look good all in red, but I think they would look better in different colours (like red, blue and white to represent the Union Jack, and maybe a green and yellow background).


I think changing the background colours improved them. This has made them different from each other, but by keeping the layout constant, you can tell they belong to a 'set'. Although it does look good, I think it could look better with a very slight radial gradient overlay, just to add a bit of texture to them and give it a 3d aspect because they do seem a little flat.

These are my final poster designs. I put them on a separate canvas and lined them up. I think they look best in this format, but they do also look good separate. I preferred it with the gradient overlay because it added texture to the overall poster. I also did the radial gradient overlay because it resembles spotlight, I saw a rendition of the BME logo on the website, which also has a spotlight effect on it, so I think it ties in with that as well. (See research for BME logo).




























2 comments:

  1. The vector designs look good Jake, You've captured the key characteristics of each celebrity well through the vectors. You could try the same silhouette idea and experiment with stencils and paint to see what effect you get, so you have a range of experimentation with different materials. You could look at Banksy for inspiration. Also have you thought of combining your two ideas, and seeing how the song lyrics work with the vectors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jake,

    The poster development is coming along well! I like the distressed look for the union jack flag, as it makes the design more understated. Rather than commenting on your step by step process, for the next step of your development, play around with different colours, fonts and layout and annotate with your opinions on which work best.

    Freddy Mercury looks very bright compared to the background, so you may want to either brighten the background slightly or tone down Freddy slightly so the two design elements work together a little better. You may not need to when all the other elements in the poster are there, but have a play around.

    Enjoy the rest of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete